Friday, January 18, 2008

New Port Richey Redfish, Trout Recover

Thursday January 10th, 2008
Full Recovery

Well, we've had a few days of warm weather since our severe cold front that killed a lot of fish. The fishing has been getting better by the day and today proved that we're back to normal, or even better. A buddy of mine called me while I was on the way to the ramp and said that his clients caught over 100 trout this morning before 10am and that the smallest one was 20"! That's a stellar morning in anybody's book. Hearing that got me fired up because it made me think that my redfish may be back on some of my go to spots.

I put the boat in in New Port Richey and ran to the first spot. The tide was pretty low but rushing in quickly because of the Southerly wind we had. As I inched my way up on the flat I could see mullet jumping. That was a good sign because a few days ago the mullet had disappeared along with the redfish. A few minutes later I saw the first small pod of over slot redfish. Game on!

I worked that spot and a few others for a little over three hours and saw well over 500 redfish ranging from 20" to 30+". I didn't catch a ton of fish, because I was working the flats over pretty fast and blowing out a lot of fish, but I did manage 6 redfish and one trout. The smallest red was 22" and the largest was 30". All were caught on Mangrove Red colored Exude RT Slugs fished on weightless weedless hooks.

I know we have some more cold fronts coming but none look to be as severe as the one we had last week so I remain hopeful that these fish will stick around for a while.

Tampa Bay Fishing
Captain Clay Eavenson
813-300-2147

http://www.captainclay.com/
gofishing@captainclay.com