Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Clearwater Fish Going Nuts


April 28th, 2008

"My boat should have holes in it!"

Because the fish tried their hardest to chew the bottom out of it! Some of the best fishing of the year (thus far) was done on the last 4 Tarpon Springs and Clearwater Fishing charters. These charters boated 30+ redfish, 30+ trout, and a few snook on average. All I can say is wow. Once the water warmed up after the last cold front, the fish went nuts. It really was an awesome week.



It's springtime and the fish tend to move from one spot to another at the drop of a hat. This happened on Thursday. I worked my way slowly into a spot that had been very productive for 2 weeks straight and when we got there the fish were gone. Instead of just leaving and going to spot "B" I asked my clients if they could be patient and let me look for these fish before we give up on the area. I stayed on the trolling motor for almost a 1/4 mile and just when I was ready to give up, I saw them. They were sitting on the sandy edge of a mangrove shoreline. It was a mix of redfish and snook. We used the Power Pole to stake out and almost immediately started catching fish. The best part about this particular area is that we've been able to fish it for 4 days and even through the busy weekend, when everyone who owns a boat is out on the water, we were still enjoying the fish all by ourselves.

Bait has been plentiful and that has really helped turn otherwise average days in to extraordinary days. We use the excess bait to chum the waters and really get the bite going. We're catching these fish on a shallow flat with no deep water within 1/2 mile. No structure or anything noticeable to hold these fish here. I think it's just a stretch of shoreline that get's good tidal flow and happens to be loaded with bait.

The three most notable hook ups of the week were when Jim, Eric, Orin, and Henry all hooked up on redfish at the same time, when 12 year old Bridget landed a 32" snook all by herself, and when I took my family out after my Sunday charter my son hooked and landed his 2nd ever redfish by himself.



I expect the fishing to stay good all through the beginning of summer. Spring time really is an awesome time to fish here in the Tarpon Springs and Clearwater areas. Bait is everywhere and fish are hungry for it. The weather is usually very mild and the sun isn't scalding. It's the perfect time of year to catch fish.



Tampa Bay Fishing
Captain Clay Eavenson
813-300-2147

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered writing an ebook or guest authoring on other websites?
I have a blog centered on the same ideas you discuss and would really
like to have you share some stories/information.

I know my audience would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.


My website :: Complet :: :
: