Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Redfish Snook and Tarpon, Oh My!!!

Redfish Snook and Tarpon, Oh My!!!
5/8/2008

Well folks, the mild overnight climate and warm days has brought the water temperatures up to that magical range, around 75 degrees. The fishing is great!!! We are having stellar days on the Reds, the Snook are biting well in the morning hours and the Tarpon are rolling on the beaches. It is my favorite time to fish. For those of you looking to catch that trophy Tarpon of a lifetime, I have plenty of dates open for you. Boca Grande Pass is our best bet, but the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is holding them as well. Call soon to get the best days around the strong moons and get that fish of a lifetime. Here is what is happening...



The Redfish bite is very good. These fish are responding best for me on a falling tide just after the peak at high tide. The strong high tides allow the fish to creep several feet under the mangroves. So, as the tide begins to fall, the fish come out and school in front of the tidal creeks ready to eat. It has been a blast with most days well over twenty Reds! Sardines, Pinfish and Threadfins are getting hit with or without a cork when the fish are frenzied.
The Snook are moving out to the passes and on out to the beach. There are still plenty in the backcountry so don't overlook those areas you usually see them. The beach and pass waters are so clear, it has made for a tougher bite when the sun gets high. I have downsized to as light as 20 lb. leader in some cases to get a few bites. You lose some fish but at least they give you the chance to land them. The larger fish are eating as long as you stay a long cast away from these intelligent elders. I had a trip with Barry Rice and his son Colton this week. The father, Barry, landed a 37 1/2 inch Snook in the morning and later on the outgoing tide, Colton got a bigger 38 incher over the sand near the beach. Both fish were unaware of our presence and were willing to eat the bait. Distance from the fish can play a key role in success.
OK. Tarpon. I love the power of this animal. There are too many ways for me to list here on how and where to get 'em. Live bait, dead bait, under a cork or freelined near the bridge pilings and on and on. Many options but only a few chances to get hooked up and get them to the boat. I have been going to the Skyway Bridge in St. Pete and working around Egmont Key as well. Boca Grande has reports of good bites in the pass too. You just need to call me to book a day and I'll take you to them.
As you can see, it is a great time to get out there. Don't hesitate!
Call me at 727-365-7560 or e-mail me for a booking in May or June. See ya soon!!!

Capt. Brian

Capt. Brian Caudill
727-365-7560
braincandle2@yahoo.com
http://www.captbrian.com/

No comments: