Monday, July 07, 2008

Good Action On Near-Shore Reefs

Mosquito Creek Outdoors IRL Coast Fishing Report


Over the years I've embraced the philosophy of helping anglers and outdoor enthusiast alike improve their success and enjoyment on the water through my published fishing reports, articles, and seminars. My beliefs are simple, if you reach out and help others succeed, their success will help you succeed. This line of thinking was further embraced a year and a half ago when my good friend and mentor Paul Faircloth of Mosquito Creek Outdoors in Apopka Florida reached out to me by sponsoring this report.

Larry Carter with A Rip Roller Redfish

Well, this past week my wife Sandi and I decided to kick this report up another notch by making the decision to purchase the Coastal Angler Magazine Greater Orlando Franchise. For years, I've been a strong supporter of Coastal Angler Magazine, and I've adopted and strongly support their belief to "Promote the Use, Not the Abuse" of our fragile outdoor resources. Like all major hurdles in life, this one doesn't come without challenges and sacrifices. The new face of CAM is now two fold. The full circulation (60,000 copies and growing to 100,000 by year's end) publication contains the same quality information and conservation massage as it always has, with the addition of more content and better graphics. The inside Orlando section of the publication will be loaded with local information written by local anglers and Captains, covering both fresh and saltwater fishing forecast and information.

Remember what I said about helping others, well each of the nine Captains writing for the magazine have agreed to assist me in this endeavor, and together we will carry the Greater Orlando outdoor and fishing community to a new level.

As mentioned earlier, some sacrifices have to be made, which was the case last week as I was off of the water supporting magazine distribution and sales. I will still be fishing and guiding as much as possible, but it will be to a lesser degree. I'm also planning to continue to facilitate your informational needs by continuing this news letter, but it will contain information provided by many other credible sources.

Mark Blyth Releases a Fisty Bonito

This past week, the near-shore bite has shifted from along the beach to the near-shore reefs and wrecks like Chris Benson, 8A Reef, and Pelican Flats. I believe the cold water Labrador Current is starting to move in because of the number of cobia being caught. Most anglers and Captains I talked to experienced good days on the reefs last week. Another challenging factor has been the lack of significant live bait (pogies) along the beach. The pogies that have been caught have been thinly spread out and in very close to the beach, so be real careful when casting for baitfish. Last week there was a flats boat swamped by a larger set of waves, so please be careful. Also, don't forget that medium size mullet also make great live trolling bait, so you might consider a visit to the Lagoon first before venturing offshore. I have also heard that the best tarpon action has been in the area of Ponce De Leon Inlet in New Smyrna.

On the inside of the Lagoon, Captain Chris Myers reports that the low water levels remain, but the fishing has been good, so read Captain Chris's report below.

As always, if you have any questions or need more information, please contact me.

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn
http://www.irl-fishing.com
407-416-1187 cell

No comments: