Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Plenty Of Fish To Be Caught

Summer Patterns Producing Results!!!

7/27/2009

Here we go! More 90 degree days with a few storms mixed in. We always say things like, 'I don't ever remember it being this hot!' or 'I've never seen this much rain!' even though it is the same every year. One thing I know is we make the same type of adjustments this time each year. Beach fishing when the backwaters are in the 90's. We are still getting fish in the backcountry on higher tides which stay a little cooler, but most of my focus is around the points and beaches in search of those striped predators, Snook! So, here is my report on every thing going on including the Snook fishing...

My pursuit of Redfish is based mainly on tides. The high tides always allow the Reds to get into the bushes where there is shade and protection from the Bull sharks and Dolphin that forage on the flats. They also have an opportunity to ambush small baits while in the roots of the mangroves. Those of you that have fished with me know I like to use a cut bait method with a split shot to attract the Reds out of the deep root systems to the edge for an easy meal. It works great when the Reds are around the tree line I am focusing on. Chumming helps to draw them to the area as well. Docks have also had the same effect as the mangroves. Even fish need a little shade in the summer.

The 4 - 8 foot grass flats around any moving water are holding hundreds of Trout. In most cases we can pull up, throw a handful of chum and watch them blow up baits on the surface. Most of them are in the 12 - 16 inch range, but the action is awesome. A few larger Trout are there, we just need to sort through a few small ones to get them There are usually Spanish Mackerel and Ladyfish as well as the occasional Shark looking for food. I like to use freelined sardines to get the bite.

big snook

Now, Snook! I have been running the troughs along the beach with my trolling motor until I run into groups of 10 - 50 Snook at a time. These fish are cooperative when the conditions aren't too clear and calm. Lately, the water has been so clear that they tend to move a long way from the boat, once I set up on them. We will get a bite or two from them before I need to ease down the shoreline to get in range again. When these fish are too finicky, I will head for the rock jetties or the deeper cuts around the points and passes. Grunts are getting hit hard by the bigger fish and the smaller male Snook still like to attack a healthy sardine. I've had plenty of clients catch their first of many Snook this year. If you haven't caught yours yet, you need to book a trip soon!

Tarpon are still around although the numbers are dwindling. I ran a few trips in South Tampa Bay around the Skyway Bridge and a couple around Honeymoon Island the past few weeks. We saw only a few and jumped just one. The best action I've heard seems to be over the sand bars working a fly rod on the incoming and outgoing tides. I spotted a few training out of Hurricane Pass this past week, but wasn't set up to catch them. The next strong moon phase should be one of the last big pushes for the Tarpon around here.

My new Dorado 23 allows me to scoot offshore to hit some of the rockpiles and artificial reefs from Clearwater to Tarpon Springs. Mangrove Snapper and Grouper are the target. Most Grouper that are in within 4 miles are short but the Snapper fishing is great. Cobia have been a nice surprise out there too!

See, there are plenty of fish to be caught! Rain, shine, or in the heat. Get out here before the summer slips away from you. Families are always welcome. There is no better way to bond with your children than going on a fishing trip. Call now 727-365-7560. See ya soon...

Capt. Brian

Capt. Brian Caudill
727-365-7560
braincandle2@yahoo.com
http://www.captbrian.com/

No comments: