Saturday, November 10, 2007

Mission Accomplished










11-9-2007

My very important client arrived early this morning. Very early. We were supposed to catch the last of the incoming high tide today which would put us in the water around 11am. However, he tugged on my bed sheets around 6am and quietly whispered, "Daddy, it's time to go fishing." I assured him that the fish were still snoozing and that he should climb into the bed with me and nap a little longer.

When we finally got ready to hit the road, all my son Cade could do was tell Mommy and his little sister that he and Daddy were going fishing and that he was going to catch a big redfish. Cade has been on the boat before but not for a fishing trip with just he and Daddy. He was excited to say the least.

First up on the agenda was to get some bait. Instead of trying to manage the cast net and watch after him, I decided to stop at Hart's 1 Stop in Tarpon springs and pick up a dozen pinfish and a dozen shrimp. From there we headed to the boat ramp in New Port Richey.

Once in the water we worked our way to one of the spots I mentioned in yesterday's report. On our way there, Cade just had to play with the shrimp. He asked all sorts of questions like, "Can the shrimp swim? Why do they have so many legs?" and, "Can we eat these?". He kept me busy for the 10 minute idle out to the mouth of the river.

When we rolled up to the first spot, I didn't see much in the way of fish. Yesterday I could see reds everywhere. I may have been early though as yesterday I hit this spot three hours later in the tide. Oh well, I cut the first pinfish in half and chunked him out there. I stuck the rod in a rod holder and resumed answering the deep questions of a three year old little boy.

It wasn't 5 minutes before the rod bent over and I handed it to Cade. He struggled to turn the handle of the reel but I told him that he could do it all by himself. He finally beat the fish and drew him up beside the boat. I pulled the little 19" red out of the water and he grinned and said, "I caught a big redfish!" I said, "You sure did son. Good job!" We took a quick photo and released the fish to fight another day.

We didn't get another bite today. Mostly because we had done what we had set out to do and Cade's mind was occupied with accomplishing other goals. He wanted to drive the boat for one thing and he wanted to make the boat go fast like the boats he saw leaving the river. I granted both wishes and we called it a day.

What an awesome feeling to take your son "real" fishing for the first time. We've spent countless hours on the dock of our neighborhood pond catching bass and bluegill, but taking him on the boat and seeing him get excited about landing a fish that I am passionate about was a real joy. When the day was over and I was putting him in the car seat, he looked at me and with a childlike sincerity he said, "Thanks for going fishing with me Dad. I had fun with you." The word "Awesome" is the only one that comes to mind every time I remember that moment.














On the way to go fishing.











The ride home after fishing.