Friday, November 16, 2007

The Right Rod

The Right Rod

by Capt. Jim Stoner

One of the great aspects of in-shore fishing is that you don't need a lot of tackle to catch fish. I have narrowed my rod and reel choices down so that I can catch just about anything that swims in the back county with two different sizes of rods and reels. Before we get into my preferences we should look at the different types of tackle that can be utilized for back county fishing. First we have spinning tackle, which has several advantages. With spinning tackle you can cast lures and baits of varying sizes and shape. Most anglers feel comfortable utilizing this type of rod and reel combination. Next we have plug tackle, which is very popular with bass fishermen and was my rod and reel of choice for many years. Plug tackle is great for plugging a shoreline and casting accurately to a tree line. Finally we have fly rods and reels. Fly fishing has become very popular in recent years and is without a doubt the most challenging form of shallow water angling. Nothing beats catching a big Snook on fly; however, fly tackle requires skill and patience. By the way, I am an avid fly fisher. Let's talk about what works best for most anglers and the two rod and reel combinations I recommend for most fish. Without reservation I recommend spinning tackle. Spinning rods work best for almost any skill level and they can handle a wide variety of lures and natural baits. You can take on big fish even with light rods. -->So, what are the two choices? The first rod and reel combination I always carry is a 6'6" medium action spinning rod with an appropriately sized reel. This rod should be capable of casting lures from 1/4 to 1/2 oz. and should handle line from 8-17 lb. test. I recommend the SS66- M Wade Fisher by Falcon Rods equipped with a Shimano Stradic 2500FH reel. I spool the reel with 6 lb. diameter, 20 lb. test braid line. This is the rod I utilize for jigs, plugs and soft plastic baits. We have landed big Snook and Reds on this rod and reel combination. My second choice is a 7'6" medium action spinning rod with an appropriately sized reel. This rod should be capable of casting lures from 1/4 to 3/4 oz. and handle line from 10-20 lb. test. I recommend the SS76- M Medium Gulf Spin by Falcon Rods equipped with a Shimano Stradic 5000FH reel. I spool the reel with 8 lb. diameter, 30 lb. test braid line. This is my go-to rod and reel combination for live baiting and jigging on the shallow wrecks. I have successfully caught large Snook, Tarpon and Permit on this rod and reel combination. These two spinning combinations will handle everything but large Sharks, Tarpon and Permit and they won't break the bank doing it.

Everglades Pro Fishing Charters
Captain Jim Stoner
Captain Doug Stoner
954-444-9995
http://www.evergladespro.com/
snook4341@yahoo.com