Monday, March 24, 2008

I.R.L.Redfish Of A Lifetime

Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report, March 21, 2008

Compliments of Mosquito Creek Outdoors in Apopka Florida

First, let me start this report by wishing everyone a happy Easter.
March in Central Florida is known for blustery breezes and this week was no exception to the rule. As cold fronts swing through our area they are preceded by strong southerly winds and followed with a robust easterly fetch, and this week high winds made for some tough fishing conditions inshore and dangerous conditions offshore.

My adventures this past week on the water were again limited by blustery and stormy conditions as well as a weeklong family vacation to the Washington DC area. I only managed one day of fishing for large mouth bass on the Saint Johns River. Yesterday, I had the pleasure of fishing with my good friend Larry Carter and his grandson Taylor from Saint Louis and we opted to bass fish due to windy coastal conditions.


The bass have started schooling up in the river bends between Lake Monroe and the Econ Creek, and they are feeding on schools of menhaden, pushing them to the surface at dusk and first light, These fish are easy to catch on small top-water plugs like Chug Bugs and Pop-Rs.


Although I did not get out on the Lagoon last week, below is a report from one of my loyal readers who did manage a redfish of a lifetime.Captain Tom,

I have been traveling from Grand Rapids, MI to stay in Merritt Island, FL at my in-laws for the last 12 years, all the while spending as much time as possible trying to learn how to catch the elusive Redfish and Sea trout, my two favorite species. Along the way, I have followed your reports for advice, and I always appreciate your thoughtful information.

My brother and I made it to the NMZ on Saturday and Sunday. I was fishing top-water and landed this beautiful redfish, certainly a redfish of a lifetime. I measured the length at 45". It had a tremendous girth, but I only had a Lawstick, and could not measure his circumference. After getting home, my brother did some research on the state record, 52lb 5oz. From lifting the fish, I couldn't tell how heavy, but could you venture a professional guess?

I am not necessarily worried about ever recording a state record. I think for it to be registered, it would at least require the time to paddle over to another boat for verification, and getting my name on a list is just not worth injuring a trophy fish. Even as it was, it took a while to revive him. I was using 12lb. test, so it took about 30 minutes to tire him out, so I spent a good 3-5 minutes reviving him before release. But I guess my other question is, is there a quick way to record a state record that will allow the fish to be quickly released?


We saw a lot of redfish, but were puzzled that we only landed this one (although we missed a couple of other redfish strikes on top water). I really need a pro to teach me some consistency!
Gear used: Shimano Calcutta 150, Bass Pro Shops Graphite Series 2-pc. baitcasting rod, MH action (undersized, but I have little choice due to my travel requirements). Berkley Big Game 12lb. test. Heddon Superspook Jr. bright silver with black back (Interesting note that is my favorite smallmouth lure in Michigan. For saltwater, I had been using a Zara Spook for years with good results on trout and some reds, but I felt that the Superspook Jr., which is only slightly smaller, offered superior hooks and overall holding strength due to the split ring attachment, so I just switched to this lure. Yes, it is a subtle difference between the two lures, but I believe it ending up making a substantial difference).
If the winds calm down, we hope to be back out there Friday.

Best regards and great fishing!

Future Hook Kids on Fishing events:
March 29 - Palm Bay: To register contact the Palm Bay Recreational Department 321-952-3441.
April 19 - Melbourne: To register contact the Melbourne Leisure Services 321-255-4608.
If you or your organization would like to support these events by volunteering, please contact me and I will point you in the right direction, or you can call Coastal Angler Magazine at 321-777-2773.

Events and Seminars
April 18, 19, 20 Melbourne: Mosquito Creek Outdoors Angler's Improvement Clinics held in conjunction with the Coastal Angler Magazine Boating and Fishing Expo at the Melbourne Auditorium.Both Captain Chris Myers and myself will be conducting clinics throughout the event, so if you have any questions about tackle selection, rigging, or anything else just stop by our booth and ask.It is the perfect opportunity to learn from the pros.
Additional sponsors for the clinics are: RipTide Lures, D.O.A. Lures, Woodies Rattles, Tti-Blakemore Fishing Group, and Daichi Bleeding bait Hooks.
As always, if you have any questions or need more information, please contact me.
Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn
Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

http://www.irl-fishing.com
407-366-8085 landline
407-416-1187 on the water
866-790-8081 toll free

President, Angler for Conservation AFC
Board Member of the Florida Guides Association FGA
Board Member of Indian River Guides Association IRGA
Board Member of the Florida Outdoor Writers Association FOWA
Book a charter, and let's go fishing.

Visit http://www.mosquitocreekoutdoors.com for all of your outdoor adventure needs, its Where the Adventure Begins!