Thursday, March 13, 2008

Take Advantage Of The Wind And Sun

Whale of a Tale, February 18, 2008
If there is one bit of advice an angler could benefit from during his or entire fishing life it would be adapt to the conditions you are presently faced with. I know this sounds rather obvious, but I often see the same anglers fishing the same aquatic real estate day after day in the same exact manner. Too, these self proclaimed experts usually are seen fishing in the same direction with no apparent consideration to wind direction or sun positioning.

I often ask myself if these folks who normally catch a redfish or two doing things the "HARD WAY" might not catch a boat load if they put a little more thought into their approach? One needs to ask the question; is visibility more important right now or is casting distance what's truly needed? Answer this query and act accordingly by putting some thought into the process.

A case in point is a recent AFTERNOON outing which I seldom do because of strong P.M. winds. My clients were forced to make difficult casts INTO the wind as I positioned the boat to capitalize on the sun angle, helping me see the redfish. In short this technique paid huge dividends as one angler quickly made the perfect cast to a school of giant redfish.

His live shrimp was eagerly inhaled by a 23 pound trophy red that battled hard for a quarter of an hour. The 42 in fish was a personal best for Corrie, who was in our area on business and decided a little diversion was in order! I simply can not argue with that…..

This is Captain Mark signing off;
May your rods bend, your drags scream and your knots hold!

Captain Mark Wright
cell - 321-302-3474
home - 321-264-3474
e-mail: CaptMarkWright@earthlink.net