Monday, December 22, 2008

Fishing Offshore Is Off The Hook


Mosquito Creek Outdoors Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report, December 20, 2008

By Captain Tom Van Horn

After a windy start to the week, the weather cleared up and an Indian summer settled in on the Indian River Lagoon coast in December. While two thirds of the country are dealing with snow and ice, I had to break out my winter shorts again as we experienced afternoon temperatures in the 80's.

Although the wind settled down inshore, offshore seas were a bit challenging most of the week. For those who made it out, the kingfish bite was off the hook on the near-shore reef of 8A, and there have been some really nice tripletail and cobia showing up in the afternoons south of Cape Canaveral once the sun heats the water.


On the flats, foggy mornings have set the stage for some gorgeous conditions with lots of tailing redfish. On Thursday I had the opportunity to pole my good friend Paul Macinnis around the No-Motor Zone where we found tailing redfish right away, but the only luck Paul had was bad luck as he missed the first five fish for one reason or another. Fishing is fishing, and sometimes the fish are the winners. After about two hours, Paul finally connected with a nice redfish and we got the skunk out of the boat. During the same trip, we were joined by Captain John Kumiski who was solo in his kayak. Johns luck was much different as the fish god smiled upon him with six redfish on six shots casting a fly rod nonetheless. John is one of the best fly angler's I know, and he made each cast count, and he schooled us on how it is suppose to be done.

Tomorrow, I'm shifting gears as I'm off to Lake Monroe is Sanford for some crappie fishing with my good friend Charlie McCullough who has been having great success all week. Additionally, Charlie has been catching several American shad each trip, so the shad are moving up the river, just in time for Christmas, more on the crappie fishing in my next report.

With that said, I would like to thank all of you for a great year of fishing in 2008. Thank you for fishing with me and supporting this report with quality up to the minute information. Together we caught a lot of fish and we had great fun on the water. Also, I hope you wishes come true and you get the opportunity to spend some time on the water over the Holidays, and I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

As always, if you have any questions or need information, please contact me.

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn
Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

www.irl-fishing.com
407-416-1187 on the water
407-366-8085 landline

Visit www.mosquitocreekoutdoors.com for your outdoor adventure needs, its Where the Adventure Begins!

No comments: