Tuesday, January 13, 2009

American Shad On Fly


Mosquito Creek Outdoors Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report

By Captain Tom Van Horn

I have to admit, there is something to be said for an early January morning spent sipping coffee and watching the sunrise over the St. Johns River marsh, while casting to American shad. We are truly blessed to live in Central Florida, where year round fishing opportunities exist. Although my show schedule limited my prospects for fishing this week, I did manage to catch my first American shad on fly for the 2009 season.

sunrise over the St. Johns RiverSunrise over the St. Johns River Marsh

After contemplating the shad run in my dreams last night, there was no doubt where I would spend my Sunday morning enjoying this gorgeous weather. Yes the shad run has commenced, and I could not resist the likelihood of catching a few on fly. The water levels on the upper river are extremely low, so I took my time slowly working my way upstream until I spotted what appeared to be shad working over baitfish on the surface. As a good number of fish boiled on the surface, I staked out Three Quarter Time and began casting. The bite was somewhat slow at first, but after I figured out the pattern they were working, I managed to catch a few. Most of the fish were feeding on pilchards on the surface, so I started stripping faster and it paid off with three shad brought to the boat.

American ShadFirst American shad on fly for the 2009 season caught on a pink Crazy Charlie with gold bar eyes.

Seminar and event schedule.
January 13th, Free Kayak Fishing class from 7 to 9pm in the Outback at Mosquito Creek Outdoors, Apopka Florida. Seminar will be held in conjunction with the Orlando Kayak Fishing Club meeting.

As always, if you have any questions or need information, please contact me.

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn
Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

www.irl-fishing.com
407-416-1187 on the water
407-366-8085 landline

Visit www.mosquitocreekoutdoors.com for your outdoor adventure needs, its Where the Adventure Begins!

No comments: