Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tarpon Springs Trout And Grouper

Capt. Brian says Happy New Year!!!
1/11/2009

Happy New Year folks! It's been a great one so far. I've been a busy boy. Still building my Dorado 23, should be done in a couple days. Just waiting on a few last minute parts. This will be a great boat for Tarpon Season. I am already booking trips for Boca Grande Pass May through June. I will soon have the new pictures up on the website of the finished vessel.
For those that follow my music career, I have also released my debut CD 'Pocketful of Change'. You can check it out at www.cdbaby.com/briancaudill. It has been very well received and I greatly appreciate those who have purchased a copy. Let me know what you think.

big sea trout

Now, onto the fishing report...
As usual the name of the game has been Trout, Trout Trout. Those beautiful spotted creatures that we all focus on this time of year. They are very plentiful around my area. However, many areas in the Tampa Bay area hurt by the Red Tide outbreak a few years ago, are reporting very strong numbers of Trout this year. I have even heard of the flats in many areas holding unusual numbers of Reds and Snook on the right days. The Trout are holding on the spoil islands and on some of the flats in Dunedin up to Tarpon Springs. Live shrimp and plastic jerkbaits each have had great success. Silver Trout are showing up on the beaches too. Slowly moved Gulp Shrimp are getting hit on all tides

The Redfish bite has been pretty tough around here lately. I sure have been covering a lot of ground just to see few here and there. When I do find a good number of them, they have been finicky, mostly eating large shrimp laying on the bottom. I expect that to change in the next month or so.

For an offshore report, my colleague Capt. Dean Parks reports a good bite on the grouper. He says 5 - 6 are the average for keepers caught, 20 - 30 feet seems to be the depth for most legal fish. remember, the new rgualtions only allow for 2 keeper gag grouper per person per day. There are plenty of short grouper biting, which makes for an awesome day of heaving. Anywhere from 40 - 100 shorts is possible. The Mangrove Snapper bite is decent as well.
Super Bowl is in my backyard this year. I hope to see some of you coming to town for the biggest game in the world. You might as well get some fishing in while your here. Don't wait too long to book a trip, I'd hate for you to miss out. Call anytime at 727-365-7560. See ya soon!!!

Capt. Brian

Capt. Brian Caudill
727-365-7560
braincandle2@yahoo.com
http://www.captbrian.com/

No comments: