Saturday, December 20, 2008

Silver Trout On Beaches

Fishing for the Holidays 12/7/2008

Hello friends. I hope you've had a great year. It's been interesting that's for sure. Gas, the economy, Obama. One thing I know, the fish don't pay any attention to that stuff, thankfully. Although, they may have noticed fewer boats running them over during the middle of that fuel hike. $4.00 plus per gallon kept a lot of people off of the water.

big 'ol trout

Well that's all changed and so has the weather. As the Christmas holidays approach, we are on the roller coaster ride of cold fronts again just like every year previous. This forces us to change tactics to keep catching fish. Live Shrimp, Shrimp imitation baits, and jerkbaits become the norm. Slow movements are the only way to get lethargic fish to interested. That is the biggest mistake anglers make this time of year. Patience is the key here. I have been targeting the Trout in the morning with great success. Big live Shrimp soaking on the bottom in the potholes around oyster bars or off the edges around the spoil islands has yielded large gator Trout. Inshore, this tactic can also get you hooked up to a nice Redfish also. Most Reds are hanging in the deeper canals 5 - 10 feet deep where the water tends to be warmer with the dark bottom soaking up the heat, but on warm days, they will move in a little shallower to forage on pinfish and crustaceans near the bars. Gulp Shrimp is an awesome bait to work slowly around the bars attracting Reds, Sheepshead and anything else that swims. The Silver Trout are showing up on the hard sandy bottom along the beaches, and respond well to the smelly Gulps. These fish are a good alternative to the Spotted Trout until they come back in season in the South region where I fish. Snook are on hold for me 'til the water temp comes up in the spring. I leave these fragile fish alone while they try to survive through the winter.

In other news, most of you know, I no longer have my Silver King flats boat. I have moved up to a Dorado 23 built here in Ozona, Florida. This will be a Tarpon fishing machine for Boca Grande Pass as well as a more versatile boat all around. I look forward to getting all of you out on it for a great day of fishing.

Also, most of you know, I am also a singer/songwriter in the Tampa Bay area. I finally have my debut CD arriving in a couple of weeks from now. I hope you will give it a listen.
Call me at 727-365-7560 to book trip for now or reserve your spot for Tarpon season, May through June. See ya soon!

Capt. Brian

Capt. Brian Caudill
727-365-7560
braincandle2@yahoo.com
http://www.captbrian.com/

No comments: