Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tarpon Springs Redfish On The Move

From Poland to Tarpon Springs Flats.

Andrew was in America this week for the first time. He was here on business but he's an avid angler and wanted to try his hand at redfish while here. He scheduled two fishing charters with me here in the Tampa Bay area while on his visit. The first day we decided to fish near St. Petersburg. I had been on some really big trout and a good number of redfish there this week so things were looking good for the first charter. Unfortunately, the wind switched directions and doubled in speed from the day before. It made finding redfish tough but the trout and bluefish were very willing.

But, the big prize Andrew was after was redfish. So, on day two, I asked him to meet me in Tarpon Springs where I have been very productive on redfish for months. We met at the dock at 7am and the wind was howling. Fog had set in and my XM Radar on the boat said rain was eminent. After about 30 minutes of getting beat up by the waves near Anclote, I told him that if he really wanted to catch a redfish then he should go back to the hotel for a few hours and wait for the rain to pass and then we'd try again.

We reconvened at 1pm and began our hunt for Andrew's first redfish. The change in the weather over the past few days, combined with the full moon, made finding them tough. All of my favorite spots were bare. Not even the mullet showed themselves. Then when things were looking bleak, I remembered a time just like this last year. The tide was leaving and it was just after a storm that I had found a large number of redfish on a very shallow flat. They poured off of the flat back then heading for deeper water and we picked them off as they went by the boat. So, even though I hadn't been there in months I decided to give it a try. We were well rewarded. The wind laid down and the water turned to glass. There they were. We could see the reds pouring off of the flat very easily. We threw pinfish out and it wasn't long before we were hooking up. Wave after wave of redfish schools kept coming by the boat. it was really an awesome sight. Unfortunately I left my camera at home so hopefully Andrew will send me some pictures to add to this report.

It was a tough couple of days but we were rewarded for our perseverance at the end we saw tons of redfish and caught our fair share. It was a 15 hour day for me but it was well worth it to see the smile on his face and to hear him say that he would be back to do this again.

Fish are on the move and they seem to have bunched up pretty tight. So if you aren't finding them, keep looking. they didn't go to Mexico (even though I was beginning to wonder). Cover as much water as you can. Definitely look for mullet. If you don't see mullet schools you aren't near the redfish.

Keep fishing. They are out there and there are lots of them. It might take a little work but when you do find them it will be well worth your effort.

Captain Clay Eavenson
813-300-2147